Question:
what command do I use to reformat my pc?
Stosh Polaski
2006-10-21 09:25:39 UTC
I'm attempting to clear out my hardrive so I can reload the software that came with the pc. I have a very bad virus and I can't get rid if it unless I clean out the hardrive.
Seven answers:
Expert
2006-10-21 09:35:00 UTC
If your hard disk is formated as NTFS then "format c:" would not work, at this situation you have to boot from cd rom and have to go to "install operating system", if your hard disk is formated as FAT 32 then "format c:" comand will help you to format hard disk.But to do lower lavel formating you will need to break the partition of c,d,etc and to do the you have to use "Patition magic" CD or similar utility. You can also do the lower lavel formating by inserting cd of operating system and by booting it and following instruction in screen.
jack
2006-10-21 16:29:42 UTC
You do realize that you will be deleting the Operating System too right? Like Windows. Anyways you can do it with the Operating System Cd. LIke Windows Xp or 2000. If you don't have that then you can make a boot disk and use the fdisk command in the prompt.
Army Of Machines (Wi-Semper-Fi)!
2006-10-21 18:52:30 UTC
From the command prompt (not the one from Windows programs menu) you can try C: *.* or C:format It's been awhile so you may need to try different variations of these... good luck :-) Oh, if you've got WinXP, then the windows command prompt is all that is available and you will have to use a WinXP Startup Disk, which you can create by rightclicking c drive....
author
2006-10-21 16:29:38 UTC
I'm just going to assume it's windows? got run type cmd at the command prompt type format c: it will warn you that you'll lose info type type y and it will wipe the drive clean. keep in mind you'll have to reinstall windows and drivers etc
djskeets
2006-10-21 16:26:39 UTC
boot your computer into DOS with a bootdisk for example and simply type format c:

or even easier, take the software that came with your PC (product recovery) and just re install over top, it should format the drive for you and install everything to its factory state.

Hope this helps.
jay s
2006-10-21 16:27:51 UTC
go to my computer, right click on the c: hard drive, Click re-format. Then proceed.
icefiring123
2006-10-21 16:27:13 UTC
u use command prompt lol