Question:
Turning Outlook into a POP3 Server?
2009-06-24 08:06:19 UTC
Is it possible to pull your email down from an Exchange server using Outlook. Then have Outlook allow POP3 connections to redistribute that email to another machine?
Four answers:
Fraggle
2009-06-24 08:12:33 UTC
Nope. Outlook is just a client. You need a server. In my house I have a Linux box that pops our mail from the ISP and then acts as an IMAP server. It's pretty easy. All you need is Linux and Dovecot.
bilou5404
2009-06-24 15:50:18 UTC
Alby, that is a totally weird question. I'm not even going to bother replying to it unless you tell me why you would want to do such a weird thing.

Exchange Server will give an authorised user the ability to acces e-mails on the server that they have the authority to see. It normally won't allow you to download them unless you specify off-line. Then it will give you access even if you are disconnected. But you still have to have the right use rights and passwords(s).. It is a security system to prevent unauthorised access to confidential information.

So why the heck would you want to get e-mails from a security controlled server and then redistribute them to other people???

That makes no sense at all. Either you are trying to access e-mails illegally, or you have no idea what you are talking about.

Better to tell us what you want to achieve in that case. Like: "I get e-mails downloaded for the school's server, but I want my friends to see them"

That's easy, piece of cake. I'll tell anyone the answer. You are sharing e-mails you got from your authorised account. You can forward them., easily, to anyone who you want to see them. Just tell us the e-mail software, and there are thousands of very capable people here who care and can help you.

Or, even if what you want to to do is technically illegal, like" I've discovered a terrible mistake on my schools' server. I can download all the e-mails from or to all of the teachers and even the Principal. How can I share those out so all my friends at school can see that Ms. Honeybun is having an affair with the Principal, and that John H. is an drug addict with a penchant for 13 year old girls.

Well, we can talk about the technical side of how you can send the information to other people. Like the police, for example. You might want to do it anonymously so that we don't see that you are a 13 year old who is having an affair with a teacher-for example (I picked an awful example there, just to show that technical stuff and the law are not necessarily bound together, because there are often legitimate reason for using technical things that can have illegal implications.)

If you can put up a good question, there are thousands of very capable people who can help you.

So what is it that you want to do? really?

If it is really bad, send the question to me by e-mail. I will not disclose it to anyone, even on pain of death. If it looks dangerous or wrong I will tell you, and I will tell you why. I can't be fairer than that.

Some people wil say I should disclose to the authorities any risk to a person under 18. I disagree. If I agree to that condition, then maybe the person at risk won't talk to me at all. So we would never get the chance to help. If you think my judgement is wrong then you are free to e-mail me any time. I will reply, politely as always, as soon as I can.
2009-06-24 15:11:01 UTC
No. You can forward the mail to other accounts, but the machines will still have to connect to the Exchange server to receive it.
sixaranch
2009-06-24 15:11:04 UTC
you have to have Microsoft Exchange Server installed on your server to do this.