Question:
uninstalling vista and installing XP?
Killer
2009-04-06 20:44:25 UTC
I have a dell inspiron1501 laptop that came with windows vista basic pre-installed.
I have 2 gb RAM and 1.74 Ghz processor .
My computer is mad slow!
What my question is ... is there a way i can totally get rid of windows vista and then install XP .
Coz Xp with 2 gb RAM and 1.74 processor with run much faster and smoother as compared to VISTA basic.

Please let me know How i can do that and let me know where i can get all the drivers after i install XP.
Thanks in advance
Five answers:
?
2009-04-06 21:00:26 UTC
hmmm and why would you do that?

You just need to order more ram.. I just ordered 4 gigs of ram for 1501 for less than 60 bucks.... it's worth it man, leave vista on there.. vista works better on core 2 duo for running multiple applications
tekkidd
2009-04-06 20:53:55 UTC
There is a way to do this. What you need to do (assuming you have the XP install CD is to put the cd into the drive, restart the computer and run the installation from there. If it does not boot to the CD but rather to he hard drive you will need to edit your boot order (don't worry its easy just read press the appropriate key at startup and you will enter the boot menu where you can choose what device to boot from, key will vary usually and Fsomthing). Also you can use the Vista activation key to activate XP.
amaya
2016-10-17 14:17:28 UTC
this would properly be an particularly long technique as u are eliminating one OS to interchange with an older OS. at the start u would desire to config ur CMOS booting prority as CD/DVD ROM 1st priority hard drive 2d priority then u choose a abode windows XP bootable installation disk or possibly a non bootable disk will additionally do.(yet i choose to propose XP bootable in view that by way of fact it gets to the installation without postpone) then restart ur laptop it is going to coach 'Press any key to run cd' press in the present day and the n the XP installation technique will initiate. yet i enormously propose this must be achieved by utilising experts as this would reason loss of significant records and lacking Booting records if not achieved appropriate step by utilising step in the time of installation technique.except all ur very own records is in yet anotherchronic different than the abode windows installedchronic like 'Dchronic' etc
Thiru
2009-04-06 20:50:03 UTC
You have to format the drive on which you have installed Vista and install XP. You can get all drivers from dell site.

There might be some tools which can help you to directly install XP; so try doing some google and see.

-Thiru

http://perfhints.blogspot.com
2009-04-06 20:51:59 UTC
yup u can install xp....just boot the xp cd...

and it will be done...

but if u dun like xp.....u can install xp service pack 3......

it wud be much better than the 1st version of xp...