Question:
Windows Installer not working?
azn0jason
2007-04-03 17:46:24 UTC
Windows Installer not working?
Okay, so I try to install OpenOffice and when I click the installer, it displays a Windows Installer error message. It reads:

the Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you're running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnnel for assistance.

So I did some scans on my computer and there's no viruses or anything related to that. I also tried uninstalling programs and the same error message poped up. Also I'm running Windows XP in normal mode not in Safe Mode. I also downloaded Windows Installer from Microsoft's site and didn't work.

Any answers?
PS. I did this:
Start>RUN>services.msc
I tried to start windows installer and it said it started and stopped. I went to installation and started it but it said start and stopped.
I also got the latest update.
Three answers:
2007-04-03 17:58:02 UTC
You may have a damaged installer file or it's not registered with your system anymore. Try this:

• Log on to your computer as an administrator.

• Click Start, and then click Run.

• In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

• At the command prompt, type: msiexec.exe /unregister, and then press ENTER.

• Type: msiexec /regserver, and then press ENTER.

Then see if the problem has been resolved. You may have to reboot. Be careful using the Installer Cleanup Tool. That can cause issues with installed software applications. Been there! Done that!
Christian Soldier
2007-04-03 17:55:02 UTC
You should get this Installer Cleanup Utility> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
jorge c
2007-04-03 18:01:20 UTC
what operation system do you have? is ... 95,98,2000,me,XP. which? depend what window is. is older that you have now. you can installer but the computer don't let you used. you need to unistall the old window, and restart the computer and unistall the new window, but maybe still not run in your computer.

good luck.