Question:
How does one go about adding RAM to their PC?
Pits4Me
2006-03-16 10:44:27 UTC
I know you can buy at like 'best buy' but I do not have a clue as to what type to buy and how to get it installed. Could someone please give me as much info that you can... and please keep in mind that computers are not really my specialty. Please try not to use too much computer lingo. Thanks all.
Five answers:
2006-03-16 10:54:42 UTC
Here is a link that'll walk you through the process.

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,110336,00.asp

This is what I did when i upgraded my ram

1. Find out what model your mother board is. If you still have the computer manual with you then refer to the manual what is the maximum amount of ram supported on the mother board.

2. Rams come in different numbers and specifications like pc100, pc133 etc. The correct ram can be mentioned or found only by the original motherboard manufactrurer.

3. Once you know the number of the RAM, like PC100 . just go to a nearby store, or order online for the amount of ram you need. like 512 MB, 1GB etc.

4. Once you buy it, simply pop open your computer box, and pop-out the previous rams (if any) SLOWLY, and replace with new ones SLOWLY..

5. all set and done right, u'll have your system back.

6. WARNING: Be very careful, if you have no clue what you are doing, then you shouldn't be doing this.

7. If you are a person who wants to learn how this is done, then go ahead and treat yourself..

-peace
The Resurrectionist
2006-03-16 18:48:44 UTC
We'd need to know the exact model of motherboard that you have in order to tell you what type of ram you need. As far as installation, it's the easiest part to install in a computer. Assuming it's ddr or ddr2 (almost certainly, unless the computer is quite old) there are 2 clips on either side of the slot, you push them down and the ram pops out. Then you just make sure the notch in the new ram is lined up with the notch in the slot, and push it in untill the clips snap back into place.

Edit: try using this program: http://downloads.theregister.co.uk/Windows/Utilities/Benchmarks/aida32pe.html

It will give you detailed information about your hardware. Should give you the model number of your motherboard.
moonlightdancer_72
2006-03-16 18:53:38 UTC
It's not that difficult to find out what type of RAM you need. Go to the website http://www.crucial.com/index.asp

There you have to select

1. the manufacturer of your PC

2. the product line (name)

3. the model

then you get all the specifications of the RAMs your PC needs. Write down all these specifications and then go to your prefered shop to get the new RAMs.

edit:

Monorail is in that list (in the manufacturer list go to the very end and select "more manufacturers", then select Monorail and then select the model). It's pretty easy ;-)

You should double check what amount of RAM already is installed and how many slots are free for adding new memory sticks. There is a help on that site where you find the specifications - "How much do I need" and "Install Guides".
K-10
2006-03-16 18:47:04 UTC
If you know how to open your tower, you can just take one out and read what kind. Otherwise, it should be listed in your PC book that came with your computer.

If you don't know how to open it, or don't have the book, you should see if anyone you know can do it. It's not hard. All you do is insert it into one of the extra slots and clip it in. I've done it many times (but I am very competent with computers)
aj_22
2006-03-16 18:54:22 UTC
if you don't know how to open the cpu/tower, i would suggest you bring the unit to a computer parts shop and have them check the specs and install the RAM. i believe installation is free upon purchase.