Question:
KDE vs. Xfce vs. GNOME for a new Linux user?
Mr. Silver
2009-10-07 02:28:07 UTC
I plan to start dabbling in Linux, and I've already considered which distribution to go with. However, I am wondering which desktop would be the best choice for a Linux newbie? Best answer will compare/contrast the three.
Eight answers:
Linux Mint 11
2009-10-07 07:27:01 UTC
I thoroughly recommend Linux Mint 7 Main Edition which is built upon Ubuntu 9.04 Its easy to install and easy to use plus it comes with much of the software you are likely to need preinstalled

Linux Mint 7 Download

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=38

Linux Mint 7 User Guide

http://www.scribd.com/doc/15884753/Linux-Mint-7-Gloria-User-Guide

The Perfect Desktop - Linux Mint 7 (Gloria)

http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-linux-mint-7-gloria

You download the ISO. image of Linux Mint 7 then you need to create a Bootable LiveCD for installation

Linux Mint 7 can also be run direct from the LiveCD from Booting up without touching your Hard Drive

CURRENT SESSION

Linux Mint 6 ext3 with switchable Compiz 0.7.2* and Beryl 0.2.1**

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=31

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_(window_manager)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz_Fusion

*Compiz 0.7.2 sourced from Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Alpha 5) repositories

**Beryl 0.2.1 sourced from Ubuntu 7.04 repositories

LUg.
Fraggle
2009-10-07 13:30:06 UTC
The choice of windows manager really comes down to personal preference. I've always been a fan of KDE, but the latest release annoys me.

I think Gnome is a good choice for beginners. It's fairly clean and less complicated than KDE. Learning to use a new OS is going to take some work, so you might as well start with an easy GUI. Once you understand Linux, then you can start playing with WMs.
2009-10-07 10:02:22 UTC
The Desktop Environment is normally just a choice of the person who installs it to the computer. Underneath they all share the same common files. You can install software to all of them. XFce is the slim down Desktop Environment. You can drag and drop programs to the desktop as links if icons is what you want on the screen and not using the menus all the time. KDE is perfect for the new user because it is similar to Windows in looks, but once you get the feel for Linux and are comfortable with it you can use any Desktop Environment you want. There are about six different ones to choose from.
jerry t
2009-10-07 14:59:12 UTC
All 3 desktops have their pros and cons based on personal taste. Xfce is very "light" and fast with minimal eye candy and effects. It is "plain" jane. KDE is a lot like the look of windows and a ton of customizations available. Gnome is considered "linux looking", some say apple like, and also has a lot of customizations.

There is no need to pick one over the other. You can install all 3 and when you login you can select which you want to use. It is very easy to switch from one to the other. After using all 3 you can pick your favorite.

Have fun.
Marko S
2009-10-08 10:26:45 UTC
Gnome: a basic desktop that doesn't get in your way, clear and streamlined

KDE: eye-candy, somewhat difficult to navigate in, I spend a good amount of time finding things in this one, seems to be more heavier on the system resources than Gnome or XFCE

XFCE: light-weight, good for older computers with limited amount of memory and processor power, setting up the desktop environment takes some time but is easy, after the initial setup very nice to use
ELfaGeek
2009-10-07 09:47:25 UTC
"I've already considered which distribution to go with."

Thank you for sharing, now we have to guess.

In Ubuntu-based Distros, you can install Ubuntu (the Gnome version) as a Live CD, then at Boot time, on the login screen, click on Session and choose whichever GUI you want. When you find one you like, install it, then select the GUI you like, and just save the Session and it will reboot into your GUI of choice.

FYI: The easiest to learn to use is Linux Mint 7, IMHO. I have it on 3 PCs and run Windows under SUN's free Virtual Box. After upgrading to Snow Leopard, I intend to run Linux Mint on my Mac, too.

TIP: When you decide on a GUI, get the Ubuntu version (Kubuntu / Xubuntu) that uses it natively, before you install it to your hard drive.
2009-10-07 09:37:23 UTC
well ive dabbled in linux before mostly ubuntu and i stopped becaseu of how hard it is to install a program outside of the aapp updater and it just dosent do programs i want

but i think gnome looks wayy to childish its just too cartooney

and kde is also way to simular in that childish cartoony type of way

my favorite is xfce becasue it looks more professional and it only has one bar at the bottom so i would be used to it becasue of my windows background and mac users wouldbe used to it if the moved it to the top
Unixmen 24/7.......
2009-10-07 10:08:18 UTC
KDE is more configurable and easy to use.