Question:
How do unix and linux such as max os x run more efficantly then windows?
2009-11-09 23:16:00 UTC
I was using max os x today that someone brught in it was pretty cool but im not convinced its better then windows 7 for multitasking.
Seven answers:
2009-11-10 03:08:24 UTC
There are many misconceptions about Unix, Linux and, Windows. If you look at the hardware level of any computer, Unix and Linux will run more efficiently than Windows will. Unix and Linux will install exactly the drivers in each computer it is installed on, you don't need third party drivers, but in some cases that is the only way some of it may need to run. Linux can multitask and I'm sure Unix will also. Unfortunately Windows dominates the world computer use in the average home and most users will find Unix and Linux a little odd and to some point limited, only because third party vendors and developers make more money developing for Windows. Linux is a programmers and hackers dream, because of all the software you can install and not cost you anything but your time. I work with all three operating systems and find Unix is the hardest one to deal with, in most cases.

If Windows is what you like, then Windows is what it should be as a choice. It takes some time and playing around with Linux, before you will actually like it. Most people don't spend enough time with it and really aren't sure how to install all the software and programs. Sorry I got carried away, and probably didn't answer your question.
john_eitel
2009-11-11 20:40:55 UTC
Okay, here's the thing: most modern operating systems handle multitasking very well, thankyouverymuch. 'Efficiently', however, is a term that needs to be unpacked a little.

Unix-based systems like Mac or Linux are designed to support multiple users, that is, more than one person logging onto a given computer- or even to manage multiple networked computers on the same network. They do this by making privileges explicit with the user role. Windows did not start out with this concept, but has more than made up for any lost ground. Especially in organizations with good IT departments, Windows computers have shown themselves to be remarkably stable and virus/trojan resistant.

Where Windows does get into problems is in the consumer market. When you buy a new Windows computer, it assumes you are the IT administrator, and the account you set up is given administrator rights; basically, you can do whatever you want, including install or remove programs. But if you acquire a virus/trojan somewhere along the way, it has the same rights you do, so it has no problem installing itself and doing whatever it wants. So over time, Windows boxes tend to accumulate 'stuff' that slows the system down and make it less 'efficient'. Microsoft has tried to change this with Vista and Win7, so that you are prompted before installing a program (or other potentially dangerous behaviors) to make sure you're doing the installing. But the USER roles haven't really changed, and that's the problem. Running ANY operating system as administrator without understanding this will lead to problems. In Linux, you run as a normal user, and need to give a password to do anything. In Mac, I don't know; I can't remember being prompted for any password or whatever when putting something on my wife's computer, and that worries me a little. Most viruses and trojans attack Windows computers because they are like 90% of all computers on Earth, so these computers tend to slow down unless they are properly administered. Now, if you set up a Win7 box properly, it can be just as 'efficient' as Mac or Linux. But I'm guessing that you aren't doing that, now are you?
SilverTonguedDevil
2009-11-13 14:09:08 UTC
I use both Mac and Windows PC for the past ten years or so, and have used Linux from time to time, and I don't think there is a definite difference in the "efficiency". There are a hundred differences in the hardware and operating systems of computers and some of those are important, but I can't say one system is more efficient -- except in the sense that you can spend more time getting things done :-).

Speaking of UNIX compared with OS X is like speaking of the F-35 compared with airplanes. One is a part of the other group. Even though OS X is a system of a special interface built on UNIX (with a unique kernel), we usually think of UNIX as the industrial-strength, consumers be damned, military and government operating system intended to crunch numbers, create missile trajectories, and analyze atmospheric data retrieved from satellites.

The software that runs on these systems are different and some types are more efficient on Windows (games) while others are more efficient on Mac OS (video rendering).

Every system needs some "third-party" drivers. Linux doesn't make DVD drives or printers, so all computers have third-party drivers. Just because those drivers are installed doesn't mean the computer will be slow... "Let me see... where did I put that printer driver? So many drivers to look through...Hmm... Oh, here it is!"

Windows is hampered by the DOS design that was out of date when Microsoft bought it from Seattle Computer Products 28 years ago. Oh, I know, Windows doesn't install DOS anymore, but the way it works is still DOS-sy. The registry is a really idiotic arrangement as anyone who has had a missing DLL file can tell you. Removing files that were not even installed by Windows gets complicated and can upset the whole applecart. The Windows system itself has so many files thrown into the basic directory (for example, Windows or WINNT) with no directory heiracrchy that no one can make heads or tails out of it.

The hardware of most PCs is also a big limitation. Intel has been pushing for UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, the type of startup and hardware interface that Apple uses), in the PC industry for several years now, but most PC computers are still using the age-old and very sluggish BIOS system. Even Microsoft would like to toss BIOS out the 'window', but they are the follower in this case, not the leader.

Linux is not UNIX, but is a UNIX-like system that was built to run much like UNIX. It is fast, efficient, and secure. Unfortunately, it is such a small segment of the market (about 1 percent of home users) that not much software is available ready to install. Most Linux users find themselves faced with the task of having to compile raw code to get some of the applications they need. In short, it ends up being a geeky system that slows down those who need to get work done quickly. The cheer might be something like this: "I love Linux because we have 1,000 applications available" "I love Mac because we have 10,000 applications available" and "I love Windows because we have 100,000 applications available." It just depends on how many applications you need.

Mac OS is a fully POSIX compliant (UNIX) system. It is fast, efficient, powerful, and secure. The OS X interface is elegant and user-friendly. One well-know test of computer security was actually a test of hacker skill. A Mac hacking expert was the fastest at hacking into the computer he chose to hack (a Mac) which made people think the Mac system was less secure than the Linux or Vista system. It was really a test of the hacker's skill. He was not as skillful at hacking either a Linux or Vista system.

As others have mentioned, malwear (viruses et. al.) will do strange things to keep you from getting work done or can even destroy your completed work, so in that sense Mac OS X, UNIX, and Linux have a big advantage in productive time.
2009-11-11 09:49:23 UTC
Windows isn't a true multitasking system.

Ever notice how it tells you to close all other programs when installing something? Or how there is a limit to how many windows you can have open?

Programs don't conflict with each other like that in Unix.
2009-11-11 20:23:42 UTC
Why not download an iso image and burn a live cd. that way you don't have to instal to your hard disc.

I use Linux Mint 7 its quite fast and very similar to windows as its based on Ubuntu(Debian), it also comes with a free Office program, there is also a program called "Wine" which runs windows programs, also it can handle "ms office" programs.

Try Linux Mint. www.linuxmint.com be sure to download the "main" version
DrDave
2009-11-10 07:21:26 UTC
Who said it does?