Question:
Ubuntu Windows installer error. Failed to run pylauncher?
2013-05-22 12:24:28 UTC
Hi.

I used to be on Windows XP, before I start my question properly.. Awhile back I updated to Windows 7, and I do not regret it, seen as XP is really slow on my computer; Freezes, boot time takes forever, etc..

So, I got fed up, and updated to Windows 7. Windows 7 works very smoothly, quickly (for my computer specs) and quite well, seen as I only have 1GB RAM, and 1.60ghz. Just so you know, I have a netbook and it is a Acer Aspire One.

Okay, so when I used to be on XP, I installed Ubuntu (about 6 months back). I installed it because I wanted to do some Operating System development, as I am into programming, and then I ended up uninstalling it.

Now, when I try to install Ubuntu, now I am more advanced with C++ and C, and learning Assembly, when I try to run the wubi installer so I can dual-boot it with Windows 7, as I do not want to replace windows (So I downloaded the Windows installer), whenever I try to launch to Windows installer for Ubuntu (wubi.exe), I get a error in a messagebox which says "Failed to run pylauncher". I do not know what pylauncher is, but my guess is that it may be Python. On that note, the other day I installed Python 3.3, and I am attempting to install/open the installer for Ubuntu version ... (The latest version, which you can see on desktop > Ubuntu website).

I have my Anti-Virus (Microsoft Security Essentials) disabled, I have my User Account Control set to the lowest (so its disabled), and my internet has a great connection. In fact, I am sitting right next to my router (in the front room of my house), so, why is it not working?

Please can I have a solution. Also, using a disc/DVD to launch Ubuntu installer is not a option for me. I have no DVD Writer slot, and I have also tried that with a portable Samsung DVD Writer slot thing via USB power. I have also tried a USB install by the way, but neither did that work. So, Windows installer is my only option.

Thank you.
Three answers:
Russel
2013-05-24 05:10:04 UTC
The problem is with wubi and haven't found a solution yet.

I never liked the idea of using wubi to put windows and linux on one PC. I prefer a dual boot. That is, separate partition for different operating systems, requiring a reboot to boot into a different os. This is the best setup performance wise. So I'd have 3 partitions, 1 for windows (not counting system reserve), 1 for linux, and 1 for data that I want to share between windows and linux (formatted in ntfs to make windows happy). I would then map my default windows folders like downloads, desktop, my documents, etc, to folders on the data partition and do the same with linux which is more tricky. And that's about that.

Then there's wubi, that is, installing linux inside of windows as you're doing. When you start up ubuntu you'll be running windows and ubuntu at the same time which is not good for performance, especially considering your PC specs.

On the other hand if you have the right specs, the best thing would be to just have windows 7 installed by default (or ubuntu if it suits you) and then get visualization software (like virtualbox) to install any other operating systems you'll want to use. Very similar to wubi, you'll start up the other os's from inside the default os.
?
2016-10-04 16:08:22 UTC
specific, it is attainable. the sole situation is that abode windows won't see the D: partition, because of the fact Ubuntu desires a distinctive document gadget that abode windows would not understand (ext4). i'm twin booting Ubuntu and abode windows 7 suitable now, and that i've got not any situation with that. you will additionally would desire to create a change partition, someplace between a million - 4 GB vast, you would be delivered on throughout the time of the installation.
Andyyy
2015-12-02 07:26:16 UTC
@Russel:

WRONG! When using WUBI you DONT start windows! It starts UBUNTU via the Windows Boot Loader. Thats all! So it does not run windows in the background! (by the way... Using VirtualBox... in this case Windows IS running in the background... What a strange advice...)

You just use filespace. Nothing more!

I cant stand this FUD against Wubi!