Question:
Getting starcraft to run on Vista properly?
semperfi
2008-12-16 11:40:50 UTC
I'm running Starcraft with no visual themes, no desktop composition, and Disable display scaling on high DPI settings. When i start it, it comes to the main screen with the starcraft title the picture and the "Loading..." at the bottom of the screen but within like half a second after when the screen is supposed to disappear and take you to the main menu with "Single Player" "Multiplayer" etc all I can do is move around behind a frozen image here: http://uploadingit.com/files/959280_ii6ol/Starcraft%20Screwy.jpg and I can hear the mouse moving over the buttons. I have in the past have had sucess with the program on vista and have been able to hit multiplayer get to where I log in and join a game room but then when the game starts I get a screen colored similar to the one I just showed and I can't see anything to play the game just a frozen image. I also took this screenshot using Fraps unlike the "Prt Scr/SysRq" capture method this captured what was behind the frozen screen but I don't know how : http://uploadingit.com/files/959281_jqmse/StarCraft%202008-12-16%2014-01-45-64.bmp
I'm looking for some answers to my problem here and maybe at least a couple or one step by step solution. Or a website to somewhere with some solutions. I'd also like to know why it's doing this from a technical standpoint (I'm pretty high up technical wise so you don't have to "speak english" for me :) )

Thanks
Four answers:
2008-12-16 11:55:23 UTC
Well, lots going on. Hopefully, your using a legit disc.

First, go over the requirements and see, just to make sure.

http://www.blizzard.com/us/starcraft/

Requirements as follows:

Windows 95/98/NT

Pentium 90 or higher

16 MB RAM

DirectX-Compatible SVGA Video Card

Microsoft-Compatible Mouse

Double-Speed CD-ROM

(Quad Speed for Cinematics)

Secondly, I would just try to re-install.

Third, check the disc for scratches or damage. Do some cleaning using a cloth for glasses or something soft. (Clean inside to out, to avoid scratching disc)

In my opinion, I think it's a virus so do a system scan if you can with Norton or something.

If all else fails, maybe contact customer support (I know it's a pain).
anon54
2008-12-16 11:55:29 UTC
I dont really know, but what I can tell you is that I play SC on my vista comp frequently, and the colors are often messed up like your first screenshot, but to a lesser degree. The color distortion shows in

1. loadup screen (your first screenshot)

2. main menu (your second)

3. game lobby (joined game waiting for it to start)

Once I start the game though, its fine.

Regarding your freezing, I guess you could try saving your maps somewhere and reinstalling the whole game. Also make sure you dont have too much stuff running in the background, etc, the usual suspects.

I had this problem with Oblivion 4 and I had to fix it by minimizing and reopening.
Jim Maryland
2008-12-16 11:47:46 UTC
Have you tried asking Blizzard technical support for help? I don't have Starcraft but I do use other Blizzard products (World of Warcraft) and the support is fairly good at resolving problems. The Blizzard forums for Starcraft may also provide additional information if anyone else has had similar problems.
2008-12-16 11:55:26 UTC
Have you tried running it in compatibility mode? That is what made it work for me.