Question:
Why do SO many people with computers not install Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware software?
EVOX
2007-05-02 17:29:30 UTC
Considering we all know there are viruses and spyware circulating out there... And considering there are so many excellent free Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware software out there, why is it there are still so many people that never install them? I'm actually interested in hearing from people with PCs (not Mac or Linux users) that do not currently have this stuff installed? Why?
Seven answers:
RElliot
2007-05-03 11:05:45 UTC
That's a great question. And it is precisely why Panda Software launched their new "Infected or Not?" campaign. The whole point of it is to raise awareness on that exact matter (and, of course, they get to promote their new products).

They let people try Panda's latest detection tools for free at http://www.infectedornot.com , then they gather statistics from these free trials which are later published as an "Infection Index" (Infex)

The results are shocking. Most of the pcs are infected, even the ones that are kinda protected by some antivirus software.
MattyBoomBatty_98
2007-05-02 17:34:30 UTC
Not everyone who has a compter knows enough about computers to know that there is anti-virus and anti-spyware software on there computer.

I don't know how many computers I've had to get this type of software installed onto because of my friend's or family member's ignorance.
mikeh0303
2007-05-04 14:53:13 UTC
I cant understand it either, it might be because they dont understand what it does, or dont know what to use.

AVG anti-virus has saved me 3 times when I was trying to install files from isohunt.com that were really viruses.
2007-05-02 17:34:03 UTC
antivirus is not needed imo if u know whats up ... antispyware definitely is and a software firewall is ... and why no antivirus? ... cause they almost always cause issues and a performance hit .. i havent used one in over 2 years with no problems ..
2007-05-02 17:37:36 UTC
some don't know about it and others don't realize the trouble they are causing themselves until it's too late. others couldn't care less until something happens. then they are the ones that scream the loudest.
Raiga Rokka
2007-05-02 18:09:50 UTC
it mostly because although they are aware of danger viruses make, they do not have money to buy antivirus.
2007-05-02 17:54:08 UTC
because they think there computer wont get infected or they just dont have a brain