Question:
Is there a way to replace Windows XP Service Pack 2 with something else?
mulldacity
2006-03-09 08:59:46 UTC
Okay, I'm not entirely sure what I'm talking about - basically, I have XP, but Service Pack 2 - which is apparently making some internal firewall that's not allowing me to do stuff (trust me on that one). I have all firewalls turned off, so don't tell me to do that.

Here's the question in another format:

Is there a way to replace Service Pack 2 with say .. the first Service Pack or something? How do I go about doing that? Suggestions to completely turn off or "uninstall" service pack 2, if it's possible?

Thank you very much, sorry I'm very obviously not an entirely computer-literate individual. :)

Five answers:
2006-03-09 09:21:22 UTC
re-inventing the wheel is not required in your question.

so here is the official microsoft link on How to uninstall WinXP SP2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875350

Hope that helps.

--OR--

If you simply want to disable the windows xp service pack 2 firewall. then view this link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283673

--x--

hope that helps.
lj1
2006-03-09 17:11:30 UTC
Removing Service Pack 2 isn't all that difficult, but it would greatly compromise your computer's security and leave you open to a lot of threats from the internet. If you give some examples of things that Windows is not allowing you to do, someone could almost certainly tell you what settings to change to be able to do them.

If removing SP2 is your absolute bottom line, go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs, and check the Show Updates box. Then select Service Pack 2 and Click Remove.
duckboy007
2006-03-12 17:57:16 UTC
found you on the "white history month" question (I think I'm more red or blue on the inside)...awesome art gallery at your site...do you ever sell...(couldn't email/contact you through your "answers.yahoo" profile, it said you had not yet confirmed the email address).

you could possibly move to DC by obtaining a student visa...enroll full time to www.UDC.edu to get the visa, then withdrawl from classes to get a full refund or before paying for school, or drop all but one class, lets say an art class that you may actually take....(Now for my own protection, I'm not condoning this, this may just be a route to go, and it might not necessarily be legal, so consult an attorney before pursuing this type of action).

I don't know the answer to the windows xp question posed here...good luck!
Iczer
2006-03-09 17:16:16 UTC
If you remove SP2 you can download the individual security fixes from Microsoft. If you use Firefox instead of IE you should be OK.
2006-03-09 17:04:56 UTC
Go to controll Panel, select add/remove programs, find sp2 and hi-lite it click remove it. Then go to programs, accessories, system tools, defragment......defrag your HDD