Question:
ATI RADEON 9800 Pro?
2006-04-05 05:56:28 UTC
i uninstalled old drivers, reinstalled new drivers...and i keep getting this message: Setup failed to run installation. The remote procedure call failed.
-click OK-

also, my files load reall slowly now. if i open my computer it takes a good minute for it to find all the folders.

AND when i open any song i have WMP wont play them.

all because i switched from a 9600xt to a 9800 pro?
One answer:
conradj213
2006-04-05 06:32:54 UTC
I hope you have yourself a recent restore point, go back to it. I know they tell you to uninstall the drivers... blah blah blah, back in the day that would have been true. But the magic of todays hardware and drivers puts the past in the past. The idea behind using the ATi Catalyst Control Center is that you don't need to do that. I went from the X800XL to the X1600Pro and here's what happened... ATi is configuring your new graphics card, please wait...

Eventually it notified me installation was complete and asked me to restart I did and everything was fine. So with new hardware you don't need to uninstall and reinstall drivers, it just works. The same is true for nVidia drivers, all you have to do is swap cards and the driver will recognize the new card.

The reason is that manufacturers now use unified drivers which not only makes development easier, it's cheaper also. So find yourself a restore point and the old drivers should be reinstated AND should recognize the 9800Pro provided you are using the Catalyst Control Center, if not... that is what you should install, I'd use that first rather than attempting to use the drivers on the CD.

You do realize that the 9800Pro is old school and doesn't support SM 3.0 or HDR goodies, right?