Question:
My computer will not shutdown/restart. Can you help me?
2007-08-09 12:03:54 UTC
This started a couple of days ago. When I do "start>turn off computer" it will not log off, restart or shut down. The last thing I remember doing was uninstalling Spydoctor because it was a trial version and did not allow me to delete files unless it was a full version.
I am not the only person who uses the computer. My brother downloaded myspace instant messenger and it looks as though somebody updated Internet Explorer to IE7 b/c the "add tab" function is now there.

I have Windows XP. I have been getting these messages on the bottom right of my screen saying this version of Windows is no longer secure and should update it to XP2. But idk if my computer can support the new version nor do I want to try it.

Is it possible, Spydoctor took some important files with it when it uninstalled?

And do you think that message about my XP being unsecure is relevant to the problem I am having?
Six answers:
2007-08-09 12:07:48 UTC
i would close the system down maunally and delete files
2007-08-09 12:29:53 UTC
OK it is possible that when you removed SpyDoctor it oculd have taken away some shared DLL's which were actually used by Windows. These are often called merge modules that are included in Windows Installer Packages (*.MSI files unfortunately I have to work for a living making these!) however that's going off topic.

I would reccommend you try one of the best remedies for your computer. Remember how well it ran when you just bought it! Click Start --> Run and then type msconfig. Press Enter. Now click the startup tab. Click Disable all. Click OK and then click Restart your computer. As your computer is buggered (metaphorically speaking) you may have to cut the power once again here by holding the power button down for a short period of time (usually 5 seconds). This will power down your computer. What you just have done has disbaled any programs from starting on your computer (don't worry you can enable them all again). Try powering your computer, it will definetley load faster and might help your problem but without looking at your computer it will be difficult for me to analyse the problem/s successfully.

Hope this helps!
Aedan
2007-08-17 11:48:46 UTC
It appears you haven't installed Windows XP SP2. If that's true, you should install it right away. There is no reason not to.

If you haven't already done so, use System Restore to back up to a restore point where the problem goes away. You may need to start Windows in Basic Mode (press F8 on boot) for your first restore.

Microsoft basically acknowledged that Windows XP, even with the SP1 update has too many security holes. So, they released SP2 which is a complete re-install offered free, even though it's disguised as a service pack. Lame method to save face, but I applaud their effort. In fact, practically all Windows Update nowadays require that you have already installed SP2.

Next thing you should do after installing SP2 is to enabled Auto-download for Microsoft Security Updates. And unless you know enough to decide (tough even for someone who works in the computer industry) what you need by reading the release notes, you may as well enable auto-install of Microsoft Security Updates.

Answer to your last question: I believe so.
?
2016-05-18 04:11:30 UTC
You may have an automatic update setting that also installs and some installs require a restart. If you have concerns about Virus, open the antivirus software and do a scan. They take a while, so do it during lunch or overnight. If it is working now, trust that the defense procedures are doing their job. Keeping ahead of the hackers and malware manufactures is not an easy job. Be sure to back up any important work.
2007-08-17 05:53:46 UTC
i would run a spyware program first ill drop one in source

if this doesn't fix it then you could try a system restore but i would take ie7 off my drive first as far as the sp2 i dont think it is the problem you can install that later, hopefully there isnt a hidden virus, ok good luck
joe_goe_sb_oc
2007-08-09 12:14:24 UTC
Hold the hardrive ON/OFF botton for thirty seconds it should turn off. Then turn off the monitor. Then turn it back on.