Question:
Windows installer (MSI files) error caused by Norton antivirus?
2008-04-11 10:45:59 UTC
Windows installer (MSI files) error caused by Norton antivirus?
Downloading Norton Antivirus 2008 caused the windows installer error. Norton solution was to rename the following MSI files:
ren msi.dll msi.old
ren msihnd.dll msihnd.old
ren msiexec,exe msiexec.old

then run WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86

This failed to update the Windows installer.
The norton software cannot be deleted using either the add remove programs or custom Norton utilities.

Could somebody help please ? Thanks in advance !
Eight answers:
oxo_07
2008-04-11 17:59:16 UTC
I used Norton 360 All-In-One -Security(2008) and it work just fine. There are three Norton Anti Virus in the the market for sale, the Norton 360, Norton Internet Security, and the Norton Anti Virus. Which one is yours? Sometime ago, Norton product causes lots of problem in my computer. If worse come to worse, reprogram your computer back to new. (Recovery program) by turning off your computer at the main power supply, (off at least 45 seconds, turn back on and press F10 quick. Then follow all the steps ( what the computer want you to do).This process takes 45 or more minutes but when it's done, your computer is back to new again. It will delete the old Norton anti virus. Also it will erased all the dowloaded program you have, but all the files, ie emails , album pictures never etc. are okey. You just have to re-download all the program that you have before if you want them back . Maybe this is something that you already know, and done in the past. If so disregard my suggestion. Please let us know what you can come out with..good luck...Note: activate the new Norton once your done with the recovery...
Jimmy
2016-08-23 23:40:15 UTC
2
?
2016-06-01 11:40:38 UTC
If you are a BT Yahoo User, with a Level 3 Account, Norton is FREE to download, from your account section! (Upto 10 copies I think!) If Not, PC world usually have it on offer, I got Internet Security Suite for £29 a month or so ago. Assuming you now have a copy, got to , then , Wait for the list to populate, then Scan Down to Norton. Highlight Norton on the left hand side. Two buttons will appear on the right. Click on the Button. If it asks if you are sure, click Yes. It will remove Norton and then ask to Reboot. When it finishes Rebooting, you can then reinstall or fresh install Norton. Allow it to do an initial scan, if it asks as you may have some virus contamination causing your problem. Sometimes the problem is caused by Service Pack 2 or another update, corrupting a file that Norton Requires. Good Luck
2014-08-16 05:51:17 UTC
You can download ccleaner for free here: http://bit.ly/1Bk5V5C

First open CCleaner

Go to the Cleaner tab and you will be confronted by a very confusing lineup of checkboxes.

To make this brief, below is my recommended setup:

Under internet explorer check temporary internet files, cookies, and last download location. Most users don't really need this stuff. keep history and bookmarks unchecked, history is a maybe, but you don't want to lose bookmarked sites. You can normally leave Windows Explorer, System, and Advanced alone.

Run CCleaner and it will start deleting files.

afterward it will present you with a list of the files deleted, you really don't need to go through it as it will be several pages long.

The registry cleaner is recommended for slightly more advanced users. Use it after uninstalling programs as they will often leave behind incorrect registry entries.

If you decide to run Registry cleaner then review the items detected and always back up the registry (I keep a folder aside for this)

The Tools tab lets you uninstall programs and set startup programs. Why do you need this if Windows has all of these features? Especially with Vista Home Ed. The windows defender software explorer( startup programs) doesn't pick up some entries (however software explorer is easier to use).

Using CCleaner to uninstall programs and then check for leftover registry entries takes less time.

Under Options you can determine how CCleaner cleans your files. I leave this alone.
HEY boo boo
2008-04-11 17:01:23 UTC
I had Norton it came with Yahoo home page , I had to change home page to get read of Norton , don't no but when Norton was gone so was problems , good Luck ' it's a pain
2014-08-13 21:29:21 UTC
Well

A good registry cleaner I use is CCleaner. It's a reliable tool to get rid of worms, trojams, malwares and viruses that affect your pc performances. Free download here http://bitly.com/1sW2hv1

It's amazing.

Have a nice day
Handsome
2008-04-14 21:20:37 UTC
Isabelle... U can try window update...

1) On your internet browser...

2) Click tools

3) then select window update...

Seem it is microsoft file they might able to help fix it for U automatic... Hope this work...
2008-04-11 10:58:43 UTC
I can't help you, but:

Don't use norton next time!

(google is your friend to help solve this problem)